Meet the 10 contestants hoping to become Miss Teen Rancho Bernardo
By Elizabeth Marie Himchak
There are 10 teenagers hoping to be crowned Miss Rancho Bernardo Teen 2011.
The reigning titleholder, Chelsea Milne, will crown her successor at the 4 p.m. Sunday, March 27 scholarship pageant in the Radisson Suite Hotel in Rancho Bernardo.
Miss Rancho Bernardo 2011 will also be crowned that day. Profiles of the nine contestants will be in the March 24 issue of the Rancho Bernardo News Jou
The two titleholders will serve as ambassadors in the community throughout the year. They will each receive a tiara, flowers, gift basket and upon completing 75 percent of their appearances throughout the year, a $1,000 scholarship.
The contestants will be judged on a personal interview, impromptu question, poise and personality, business and evening attire, and original speech.
Miss Rancho Bernardo Teen contestants are:
• Kayla Lynn Anderson, 14, is a Del Norte High freshman and daughter of Lisa Rehberg and Todd Anderson. Her activities include soccer, figure skating, cheerleading, knitting and volunteering at triathlons.
• Christina Azar, 16, is a Del Norte High junior and daughter of Claude Azar and Tony Azar. Her activities include Best Buddies Club, Link Crew, cross country, and track and field team.
• Mackenzie Nicole Bale, 16, is a Rancho Bernardo High junior and daughter of David and Lorie Bale. Her activities include varsity cheerleading, Invisible Children club, snowboarding, gymnastics, dancing, golf, singing, playing piano, and volunteering at her church and in the community.
• Paige Mackenzie Byrd, 16, is a Rancho Bernardo High sophomore and daughter of Mercedes Montana and Raymond Byrd. Her activities include Fight Against Hunger club, student demonstrator for Rancho Bernardo Pop Warner Cheerleading and digital media production at school.
• Alexis Mary Coons, 16, is a Rancho Bernardo High sophomore and daughter of David and Kimberly Coons. Her activities include student government, art, competitive Irish dancing, playing Irish fiddle and violin, modeling, acting and community service.
• Yifan Huang, 16, is a Rancho Bernardo High junior and daughter of Minhua Zhao and Cunzhi Huang. Her activities include varsity cross country, playing violin with Civic Youth Orchestra, DECA and Key clubs, and volunteering a combined 280 hours at the Poway Library and Rancho Bernardo Discovery Shop.
• Lauren Elizabeth Long, 16, is a Rancho Bernardo High junior and daughter of Michele Long and Bill Long. Her activities include student government, peer counselor, Peer Leader Uniting Students club, Fight Against Hunger club, Rancho Bernardo Community Presbyterian Church student leader, mission work locally and overseas, and volunteering at San Diego Food Bank, Feeding America and RBCPC thrift store.
• Ryleigh Anne Mansell, 14, is a Del Norte High freshman and daughter of Ryan Mansell and Nicole Mansell. Her activities include cheerleading, swim team, Spirit Club, volunteering and church activities.
• Sarah Shalviri, 16, is a Rancho Bernardo High junior and daughter of Maryam and Farhad Shalviri. Her activities include Tour De Force dance team, RBHS competitive dance team, varsity cheerleading, gymnastics, student government, playing piano and raising money for charities.
• Serena Sheffer, 16, is a Rancho Bernardo High sophomore and daughter of Thomas and Michele Sheffer. Her activities include band, San Diego Young Artist Symphony, Kiwins Club, LEOs Club, dancing, tutoring middle school students and City of Hope fundraiser walks.
Short URL: http://www.pomeradonews.com/?p=10303