Preps: Change could come soon to CIF San Diego Section playoffs
The CIF San Diego Section could have a new playoff structure very soon, depending on the outcome of Wednesday’s 9 a.m. vote by superintendents at the Hall of Champions.
The proposal being put to a vote at the San Diego Section Board of Managers meeting will change the current format from divisions based on enrollment to divisions based on the strength of programs.
It could be put in place as early as this spring for baseball and boys and girls lacrosse.
Team records, playoff appearances, rankings and strength of schedule in the program’s last five years will all be factors in determining which division a team will be placed. The new structure will not include boys water polo, boys and girls tennis, boys and girls track and field, boys and girls golf or boys and girls cross country.
There will also be the creation of an Open Division, which would be filled by the top teams in the section.
The new structure has been in discussions for well over a year now and just last October was presented to the board for consideration.
The board has the option to approve, reject or delay the proposal.
- Preps: Thirteen locals land on 2012 All-CIF San Diego Section fall teams
- Prep football: Poway High to Division II creates potential for loaded section playoff field; Titans beef up schedule
- CIF Prep Girls Volleyball: Poway High, Del Norte earn No. 2 seeds in section playoffs; Rancho Bernardo No. 4 in Division II
- Prep Girls Tennis: Rancho Bernardo High, Poway, Del Norte all advance to second round of section championships
- Prep Football: Del Norte High edges Mt. Carmel, has hope to host first playoff game in program history
Short URL: http://www.pomeradonews.com/?p=32276