CIF Prep Girls Tennis: Rancho Bernardo High comes up short against Torrey Pines for section title
By Michael Bower
There is nothing wrong with being second best when the team on the other side of the net has dominated the CIF San Diego Section girls tennis world for over 23 years.
But that doesn’t make losing any less frustrating.
Rancho Bernardo took its shot at the Falcons and fell short 12-6 Friday in the San Diego Section Division I team championships at Barnes Tennis Center. It was Torrey Pines’ 24th straight section title and the Broncos’ seventh time in the last 10 years being the runner-up to the Falcons.
After coming within 10-8 in the last regular-season meeting with Torrey Pines, there was some hope the Broncos could end the long stranglehold the Falcons have had in girls tennis in the county. But Torrey Pines won seven of the nine doubles sets to pull away for the win.
Singles players Ashley Chao and Carissa Bernhardt, who are fresh off capturing the Palomar League doubles championship together, each won two singles matches. The other two points for the Broncos came from the doubles tandem of Carlin Tou and Carolyn Brooner.
It was the 13th time overall that Rancho Bernardo finished in second place at the section championships. The last one came in 2010, when the Broncos fell to the Falcons 14-4.
- CIF Prep Girls Tennis: Rancho Bernardo High hopes to halt Torrey Pines’ win streak in section finals
- CIF Prep Girls Tennis: Rancho Bernardo High advances to section title match with win over Poway
- CIF Prep Boys Tennis: Rancho Bernardo High clipped by Torrey Pines in section title match
- CIF Prep Girls Tennis: Poway High, Rancho Bernardo could collide in Division I semifinals
- CIF Prep Boys Tennis: Rancho Bernardo High represented in both singles and doubles finals
Short URL: http://www.pomeradonews.com/?p=42226